Friday, June 3, 2011

Beausejour's Last Grain Elevator



The Beausejour Beautification Committee asked me to make a scale model of the town's last grain elevator this spring, and I got busy doing some research into things. The last of three elevators is to be torn down this summer, and I was fortunate to be able to take some photos and measurements in order to produce a decent model. A trip to the library provided some older photos, and I set off to produce a model that would look like the elevator has back in the 1950's. Along the way, I spoke to a number of people about the project, and Art Linke was especially helpful in providing some of the details that you can't find in books or photos. The model was a lot of work, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Once a significant piece of our local history is lost, we have to find ways to share that history with the younger generations, and I was honoured to be a part of that important process...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful model!! Nicely done.

    Have you heard anything more on when the this is scheduled to be taken down? I'm interested becoming involved if anyone is trying to save it.

    ReplyDelete