Monday, July 8, 2013








Many years ago, my grandfather, Bill Love gave me the best bit of advice I have ever received, and that was, "find something that you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life".  I took it to heart a few years later when I started Brokenhead Studio, and have had the great fortune to do just that for about 8 1/2 years now.
Sometime last year, I was lamenting the fact that I wanted to push myself a bit more, and produce more creative and sculptural work that better showcased what I could do, but how to make that happen was a challenge.  Some say that this sort of work can't fly in Manitoba, a province sometimes best known for it's thrifty ways-but I disagreed.  Show people what can be done, and they will embrace the notion.
Fast forward eight months later, and the Giant Robot is my travelling sample of what can be done.  
Based upon the tin toy "Smoking Robot" from the 1950's, the sculpture to me represents a bit of a throwback to an optimistic time when anything was possible, and the future looked so bright.
That same spirit is still abound-at times we have to seek it out, and other times it's more a matter of putting it out there to remind people that things aren't so bad...

The process of producing a sculpture such as this involves many steps, and a massive amount of help-I would like to thank the following people:

Vanda Toews for lending me her 12" tin toy smoking robot.
Darren Piwniuk, Brandon Piwniuk, Gerald Young, and Glenn White for the foam, foam cutting, routering, coating, welding, and overall mad skills.
The Winnipeg Folk Festival.
Kevin Erin for a hand with some photography.
My friends and family for their continued support.

If you are considering adding some WOW to your business, and you are not sure what to do, give me a call or send me an email-I would love to hear from you.







No comments:

Post a Comment